This Weymouth and Bradoon set is specifically designed for use on double bridles which are often worn for showing or higher level dressage. The set includes a loose ring Bradoon with a single joint that allows more movement than a fixed cheek bit and is ideal for horses that are prone to leaning and fixing. The single joint Bradoon has a nutcracker action which works on the bars of the mouth and the lips.
The Weymouth has a straight bar mouthpiece that offers a more consistent action and acts on the tongue and the bars of the mouth; the port allows extra room for the tongue. The Weymouth has some poll pressure and used in conjunction with the curb chain, applies curb groove pressure. The Weymouth is also used to refine aids and to encourage a horse to sit back on their hocks in order to perform more advanced movements.
This set requires two reins, one attaches to the snaffle Bradoon and one attaches to the Weymouth bit. A curb chain is included and can be used with a lip strap (not included) in order to keep the curb chain flat. Please note: Double bridles should be used by experienced riders and are designed for horses who already perform well in a snaffle.
As per our size guide the A & B measurements of this bit are as follows:
4.5" to 6" - A=14mm & B=125mm
4.5" to 6" - A=14mm & B=55mm.
Please note that the C measurement for this bit will be 1/4" larger than what is stated in our size guide. This is typical for a bradoon snaffle.
Stainless Steel Horse Bits
Stainless steel is the most commonly used material for horse bits as it is durable, easy to clean and does not rust. Stainless steel bits are suitable for a wide range of horses and are available in many designs so that you can choose the right bit for your horse and discipline.
- Set includes: 1 x Single Jointed Loose Ring Bradoon Snaffle, 1 x Medium Port Mouth Weymouth Bit & 1 x Curb Chain
- All bits made from high quality and durable stainless steel
- To be used with a double bridle
- To be used by experienced riders
- Bit strength: Moderate-Strong
- This bit is Dressage Legal (For use at Medium upwards)
To promote good hygiene and protect the longevity of your horse bit we recommend the following care regimen after every use.
1. Rinse your bit after every use under a tap to remove any saliva or debris on the surface.
2. Use a soft sponge or cloth to wipe any excess debris off of the bit, paying particular attention to joins and hinges.
3. Leave to dry naturally.